Mala Steamed Fish
- 1 Omsom Chinese Spicy Mala Sauce
- 1 whole fish, gutted + descaled (we like sea bass, haddock, porgy, cod, flounder, or tilapia!)
- 5 scallions, cut into 3’’ pieces + thinly sliced
- 10 sprigs of cilantro
- 5 tbsp. ginger, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. neutral oil
Recipe from community member, Hanna (@hanseabright).
Steam your fish!
- Cut three diagonal slices into each side of fish. Stuff fish with half of scallions, cilantro, and 2 tbsp. ginger.
- Pour enough water in the pot to cover bottom 1’’. Set steamer on top of pot, then bring to a boil.
- Place fish in steamer and cook for ~10 minutes, until cooked through. (Pro tip: fish is cooked through when the meat is opaque + bones are slightly translucent!)
Finish cooking your fish!
- Transfer fish to a large platter. Spread Omsom sauce over top of fish and garnish with scallions, cilantro, and ginger.
- Heat oil to 375* F (or just as it reaches its smoking point), then pour over surface of fish.
- Finish by drizzling soy sauce over fish. Garnish with more cilantro + scallions (optional) + enjoy!