Pickled Daikon and Carrot Recipe
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large daikon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
Serve alongside any Omsom Lemongrass BBQ dish or to add a sweet and sour crunch to a salad or soup
- Peel and cut the carrot and the daikon into thin matchsticks. (Pro tip: For the most uniform pickles, use a mandolin with a julienne attachment. You can also use a box grater or vegetable peeler.)
- Place the carrots and daikons in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Massage vegetables for about 3 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in a colander and rinse under cold running water, then press gently to expel extra water and place in a bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, and water and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add brine to vegetables. Let marinate in the brine for at least 1 hour before eating. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks -enjoy now and later!