Chinese Chicken + Cucumber Mala Salad Recipe
- Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- ½ lb chicken breast or boneless, skinless thigh
- 1 large cucumber, preferably English
- ½ cup enoki mushrooms or mushrooms of your choice, sliced (optional)
Traditional: Serve with white rice
Mix it up: Serve over a salad of lettuce and cilantro
Poach your chicken:
Place chicken into the pot, and cover with ~2 cups of cold water to submerge.
Season the water with 2 tsp of salt.
Turn the heat on and bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until fully cooked, about 5-8 minutes.
Rinse chicken under cold water, and shred or cut into cubes or slices.
Put it all together:
- Peel your cucumber (if desired), trim ends, and slice lengthwise in half.
- Remove seeds and pulp with a spoon.
- Place the side of a large knife on the cucumber, skin side up, and smash. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- If using mushrooms, blanch the mushrooms in boiled water for 30 seconds, and drain.
- Combine the crushed cucumber, shredded chicken, mushrooms (if using), and Chinese Mala Salad Starter into the mixing bowl, and stir to mix evenly.
- Season with 1/8 tsp salt, and you’re done! Serve with some of our suggested favorites. Enjoy!
Watch the full recipe video here!