Chinese Mushroom Mala Salad Recipe
- Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- 20-40 oz mushrooms of your choice (tip: more mushrooms = less spicy!)
- 1 small cucumber, preferably English
- neutral cooking oil
Traditional: Top with scallions and serve with white rice.
Mix it up: Serve over a salad of lettuce and cilantro.
Prep your mushrooms:
Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Remove stems.
Thinly slice cremini/button mushrooms. Prep your mixed mushrooms. If enoki, trim ends and boil enokis for 30-45 seconds, and drain. Set aside (do not cook twice). If dried wood ear, soak in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, and drain. If shiitake, remove stems and slice thinly.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add all of the mushrooms and let brown undisturbed, about 3 minutes.
Stir and continue to saute until deep brown, about 5-6 minutes. (Optional: let mushrooms cool before mixing.)
Put it all together:
- Peel the cucumber (if desired), trim ends, and slice lengthwise in half.
- Remove seeds and pulp with a spoon.
- Place the side of a large knife on the cucumber, skin side up, and smash. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine mushrooms, cucumber, and the Omsom starter into mixing bowl + stir to coat evenly. Add ⅛ tsp salt.
- Season to taste if needed, and serve with some of our suggested favorites. Enjoy!
WATCH THE FULL RECIPE VIDEO HERE!