Chinese Shrimp Mala Salad Recipe
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large cucumber, preferably English
- ½ cup enoki, shiitake, or button mushrooms or mushrooms of your choice, sliced (optional)
Traditional: Serve with white rice
Mix it up: Serve over a salad of lettuce and cilantro
Poach your shrimp:
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in the pot and season the water with 1 tsp of salt.
- Remove the water from the heat and add the shrimp and cover the pot.
- Let the shrimp gently poach for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain the shrimp and optionally let cool.
- Once cooled, drain the shrimp and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Put it all together:
- Peel your cucumber (if desired), trim ends, and slice lengthwise in half.
- Remove seeds and pulp with a spoon.
- Place the side of a large knife on the cucumber, skin side up, and smash. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the mushrooms (optional). If using enoki mushrooms, blanch them in boiled water for 45 seconds, and drain (do not cook twice). If using Shiitake or button mushrooms, in a large skillet over medium high heat, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the mushrooms and let brown undisturbed, about 3 minutes. Stir and continue to saute until deep brown, about 5-6 minutes. (Optional: let mushrooms cool before mixing.)
- Combine the crushed cucumber, chopped shrimp, mushrooms (if using), and Chinese Mala Salad Starter into the mixing bowl, and stir to mix evenly.
- Season with 1/8 tsp salt, and you’re done! Serve with some of our suggested favorites. Enjoy!