Crispy Enoki Fans with Mala Aioli Recipe
heavy bottom pot
- 1 Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- 5 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. enoki mushrooms
- Neutral cooking oil
- Lime, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
Garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Serve with mala aioli. Enjoy!
Inspired by Food52’s recipe for fried enoki mushrooms!
- Prepare the mushrooms: trim off the roots of the enoki, and thinly slice lengthwise through the base of the bundle. You should be left with thin “fans” of enoki.
- Using paper towels, press and pat each “fan” to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, kosher salt, and ¾ cup water into a smooth slurry!
- Create mala aioli: mix mayonnaise with Omsom’s Mala starter.
Let’s get cooking:
- Pour oil into a large, heavy bottomed pan until the oil is roughly 2 inches deep. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F.
- Working with 2 to 3 enoki “fans” at a time, dip them into the batter + lift to let excess batter drip off.
- Gently fry enoki “fans” for about 3 minutes, flipping halfway, until crispy and golden. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Once cooked, remove “fans” from the pan and place on a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
- Garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Serve with mala aioli. Enjoy!