- rice cooker
- plastic wrap
- wire rack
- frying pan
- 1 Omsom Yuzu Misoyaki Starter (5 tbsp)
- ½ lb sushi grade ahi-tuna
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 3 scallion stalks thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
Serve with a nice cold drink!
Recipe from community member, Hanna (@hanseabright).
Prep your tuna:
- Finely chop tuna and transfer the chopped tuna to a large bowl.
- Add sliced scallions, mayonnaise, and Omsom’s Yuzu Misoyaki starter. Mix very well! Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Make the sushi vinegar. In a small saucepan, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and Kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then whisk until dissolved. Set aside until rice is cooked.
- Season the rice. Pour sushi vinegar on top of rice, directly in the pot it was cooked in. Use a spatula to gently toss the rice.
- Cool overnight. Press the rice into a flat even layer on a lined sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Let’s get cooking:
- Slice the cooled rice into bite size rectangle pieces!
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
- Add rice rectangles and cook until golden brown + crispy.
- Transfer to a wire rack + top with tuna mixture + a thin slice of jalapeno.
- Top with sesame seeds!
Air fry the crispy rice at 400F for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through!