Halloween Recipe: Mala Cucumber Snake Recipe
- 1 Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- 5 Persian cucumbers
- ¼ cup black or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 carrot, sesame seeds, shredded lettuce, mung bean sprouts (optional, for decoration)
It makes the perfect spooky snack!
- To make the Cucumber Snake, place cucumbers on a cutting board between two chopsticks. (Pro tip: the chopsticks will be your guide so you don’t cut the cucumber all the way through.) With a sharp knife, slice across cucumber, stopping before you hit the chopstick, leaving a ½ inch gap between cuts. Flip cucumber, leaving it still between two chopsticks, and start your cuts in the ½ inch gap you left on the first side: the cuts on the second side should never meet the cuts from the first side.
- Leave the two ends of cucumber intact. On one end, carve a small smile and small holes for eyes.
- Combine the Omsom starter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, and sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place cucumber snakes snugly into a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them, making sure that they are almost completely covered. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. (If your snakes aren’t submerged, flip them half way through marination time!)
- Take cucumbers out of marinade. Add optional garnishes: sesame seeds to the eye holes and a carrot tongue.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce and enjoy!