Jen Phanomrat's Pan con Sisig-charron Recipe
Fire up Jen Phanomrat’s riff on Filipino Sisig with this Pan con Sisig-charron recipe! She's the co-founder at Just Eat Life, with 100K+ subscribers on YouTube, a Tastemade TV show, and is a Food Network Chopped Champion. Jen cooked this on our first Riff Raff episode, our virtual event series - an “anti” cooking class where kickass doers + shakers dish fire food and even hotter takes.
- 1 lb pork belly (with skin intact)
- 4 garlic cloves (whole)
- cilantro (root + leaves)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced
- 1 ube, peeled and sliced semi-thick
- Portuguese bread rolls
- aji amarillo paste (or hot sauce of your choice)
- Thai chili
- neutral oil
- In a pot of boiling water, add garlic cloves, cilantro root, a hearty pinch of salt, and pork belly. Cook until pork is tender. Cut into thick slices.
- Once cooled and lightly dried, heat oil + fry pork slices until golden and crispy.
- Prepare the toppings: make salsa criolla by tossing red onion with lime juice, salt, chopped chili, and cilantro. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine mayo and aji amarillo paste and set aside.
- Fry ube slices until golden. Set aside.
- In a pan heated on medium-low, add Omsom starter, season with salt and pepper to taste, then add fried pork slices and toss in sauce to coat well.
- Assembly: Slice bread rolls, spread spicy mayo on both slices, layer the sandwich: ube on the bottom, pork, and then salsa criolla. Enjoy!