How to Make
- 1 Omsom Vietnamese Lemongrass BBQ Starter
- 1lb. tofu, cut into ¼ inch thick planks
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 1 small white daikon, red radish, or jicama, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 2-3 persian, english or any seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 18 inch baguette, cut into 4 pieces, or 2 loaves French bread, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers
- ½ cup lightly bunched cilantro
- mayonnaise, to serve
Works as an easy make-ahead work or school meal, and you can make a batch of the pickled veg to save for the future!
Prep your protein:
- Press tofu by laying tofu in an even layer across 3 paper towels, then lay 3 paper towels on top, placing a heavy object (such as cast iron skillet or cans) on top. Let tofu press for 10 minutes. If you have time and want extra crisp, brine the tofu. Once ready, in a medium bowl, lightly coat tofu with Omsom starter, lay another paper towel across the tofu, then set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
Prep your pickled veg:
- For the pickling liquid, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 tsp. salt, rice vinegar, sugar, and water. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until fully dissolved. Submerge carrots and daikon into pickling liquid and let cool in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Let’s get cooking:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Place marinated tofu on skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on both sides, seasoning with ½ tsp salt. Cook until crispy and brown.
- Once done, place each piece of tofu on a large plate for assembly.
- Cut each baguette lengthwise through the center. Spread 1-2 tbsp. mayo inside each baguette.
- For each sandwich, overlap tofu inside the baguette, then layer pickled veg, sliced cucumbers, jalapeño peppers, and 3-4 sprigs of cilantro. Repeat for the rest of the sandwiches. That’s it - serve and enjoy!