How to Make
- Heavy bottom pot
- Chef’s knife
- Mixing bowl
- Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- 2 lb. trumpet mushrooms
- 1 liter cooking oil for frying + 2 tbsp. for dressing
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 scallion stalk (optional)
- 2 cups corn starch
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. white pepper
Makes the perfect lil' snack!
Recipe from community member, Stasia de Tilly (@kowloonbaby_).
- Trim the flat head of the trumpet mushroom and cut in half crosswise. (Pro tip: Keep your mushroom scraps for later!)
- Place one stem in between two chopsticks. The chopstick will be your guide so you don’t cut through the stem. With a sharp knife, criss-cross the mushroom and stop slicing before your knife meets the chopstick. Repeat the same step with remaining stems.
- Fill a pot with 4 cups of water and set it on high. Once it comes to a boil, season with salt. Carefully drop in the mushrooms, uncut side down, into the hot water. Boil while submerging occasionally until they turn from white to grayish, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water, allow to cool, then gently squeeze each stem to remove excess water.
- In a bowl, add corn starch and season with salt, black pepper, and white pepper. Mix well and coat mushrooms, making sure to get the dredge into all the creases.
- Fill a heavy bottom pot with oil and heat it to 325° F. To check if the oil is ready, drop in a small piece of mushroom, if it sizzles then the oil is at temperature.
- Carefully drop in 1 to 2 mushrooms into the hot oil, the bottom side goes in first, and fry until golden brown, 3 minutes. Reduce heat slightly and flip mushrooms, frying for 3 minutes on the other side. Remove and set aside on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add your Omsom starter and 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil and whisk until just combined. When it starts to gently bubble, remove from heat and add fried mushrooms. Toss until completely coated. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!