Mala Steamed Eggplant Recipe
- 1 Omsom Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, cut into 4-inch long batons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- sesame seeds, optional
- green onion, optional
This dish can be enjoyed as a main or side dish, and warm or cold!
Let’s get cooking:
- Fill a large bowl with 3 cups of water, then mix in white vinegar and 1 tsp. salt. Submerge eggplant in the mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the mala oil. In a small bowl, combine Omsom starter, garlic, and ½ tsp salt. In a saucepan, heat oil on medium heat, keeping a close eye on it. Once oil just starts to smoke, turn heat off and pour hot oil into the small bowl and stir to combine.
- Steam eggplant for 10 minutes, then use a chopstick or toothpick to test the doneness. Depending on how soft you like it, steam for 3-5 more minutes.
- Once the eggplant is ready, pour mala oil on top of the eggplant. To serve, top with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature. That’s it- you’re done!