- frying pan
- rice cooker
- 1 Omsom Japanese Yuzu Misoyaki Starter
- 1 can SPAM® Classic
- 1 ½ cups short grain rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 pack large nori seaweed sheets
- 1 ½ tbsp. neutral cooking oil
Enjoy it as a lil' snack!
- Add the rice grains into a small pot or saucepan and pour hot water to submerge the rice. Using your hands, rinse rice in a circular motion. The water should get cloudy. Drain water and repeat 2-3 times until water runs almost clear.
- Combine rinsed rice with water. For stovetop: bring rice to a boil on medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-35 minutes until water is evaporated and rice is cooked through. Grains should be fluffy, tender, and aromatic. If using a rice cooker, cook according to its settings. Let cooked rice cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare SPAM® Classic. Remove SPAM® Classic from the can and cut into ¼ inch thick slices. You should get 8-10 slices.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, put SPAM® Classic into a dry pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together Omsom Starter and oil to make the glaze. Brush a thin layer of the glaze on top of SPAM® Classic, then flip SPAM® Classic over so that the glaze gets caramelized. Fry for another 2 minutes, then brush with glaze on the opposite side and flip again. Cook until crispy to your liking. Be careful to not let the glaze burn! Repeat for each slice of SPAM® Classic, work in batches, and let cool on a plate.
- Cut nori sheets into 2-3 inch wide strips and set aside until assembly.
- Assemble musubis: rinse and dry SPAM® Classic can to use as a mold. Line the inside of the can with plastic wrap. Alternatively, place plastic wrap on the palm of hand. Scoop about ¼-⅓ cup cooked rice into the can or onto your hand, cover with the plastic wrap, and press down with your hands to compact the rice. If using the can, remove rice from can. Unwrap plastic wrap, brush a thin layer of glaze over rice, and layer SPAM® Classic on top. Wrap together with seaweed. Repeat for every musubi. You should get about 8-10 musubis.
- That’s it! Enjoy warm as is or keep refrigerated for up to 2 days as a snack, or as meal prep.