- small pot
- large skillet
- Omsom Japanese Yuzu Misoyaki Starter
- 1 cup uncooked short grain rice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
Serve on its own or in a bento box!
Recipe from community member, Betsy (@paintpencilpastries).
- Add the uncooked rice into a small pot or saucepan and pour just enough water to submerge the rice. Using your hands, rinse rice in a circular motion. The water should get cloudy. Drain water and repeat 2-3 times until water runs almost clear.
- Combine rinsed rice with 1¼ cup water. For stovetop: bring rice to a boil on medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-35 minutes until water is evaporated and rice is cooked through. Grains should be fluffy, tender, and aromatic. Let cooked rice cool to room temperature.
- Combine cooked rice and salt. With slightly wet hands, form the rice into a triangular shape.
- On medium high, pour cooking oil into a large skillet and grill each side of the onigiri until lightly golden, about 6-8 minutes.
- Brush the Omsom starter on each browned side and grill again until crispy, about 3-5 minutes. You’re done!