Filipino Pork Belly Sisig Recipe
- Omsom Filipino Sisig Starter
- 1 lb. pork belly
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 tbsp. mayo (optional)
Traditional: serve with garlic rice or white rice and top with sliced chili and scallions.
Mix it up: serve with sautéed greens.
Prep your pork:
- Slice pork thinly, about ¼ inch thick or less. (Pro tip: For easier thin slicing, firm your pork in the freezer for 20 minutes.)
- Season pork belly with 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper.
Let’s get cooking:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onion, reserving a handful for garnish, and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add pork belly to the skillet, turn the heat up to medium high and fry, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- If needed, drain pork fat by turning off the heat, carefully tilting the skillet, and soaking up excess fat with paper towels.
- Turn the heat down to low, add Omsom Filipino Sisig Starter, stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper. For the brightest flavor, try not to boil the starter. (Pro tip: For extra creaminess, add mayo here.)
- Crack the egg into the warm pan and stir to quickly cook the egg.
- Turn off heat and finish with the reserved onion.
- Serve sizzling hot! Serve with some of our suggested favorites. Enjoy!
Watch the full recipe video here!