Instant Pot Mala-Braised Cod
- 1 Chinese Mala Salad Starter
- ~1 lb. of cod, about 1½-inch thick, in 3 pieces
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced
- 4 oz. baby bok choy, trimmed
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- ½ inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, cut into 2” lengths
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 Omsom Vietnamese Lemongrass BBQ starter
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen package of pre-cut cauliflower florets, or 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into 1-2 inch florets
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
A bowl of hot steamed white rice or noodles. Don’t forget to drizzle some of the broth on your rice for more flavor!
Let’s get cooking:
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and add oil. Once hot, sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onions, jalapeno (optional), bok choy, scallions, and the Chinese Mala Salad starter. Sauté until veggies soften, about 2 minutes.
- Press “CANCEL” to turn off Sauté mode and add the broth, 1⁄2 tsp. salt, and fish sauce.
- Place cod on top of veggies. Baste cod with broth.
- Close lid, turn steam vent to SEAL and pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. (Pro tip: Pressure time can vary depending on the thickness of the cod. If your cod is thinner than 1” thick, it will take less time to cook. Well-cooked fish should read 140 degrees F.)
- Once pressure cooking is done, turn steam vent to VENT for a quick release.
- Salt to taste. Place fish, veggies, and broth in a serving bowl.
- Preheat the Instant Air Fryer at 350° F on the air fry setting. In a bowl, toss cauliflower with oil and salt, making sure each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Cook cauliflower in Air Fryer for 3 minutes, until golden and almost cooked through. Turn cauliflower and brush Omsom starter on cauliflower to coat, then cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until fork tender, aromatic, and lightly crisped.
- Remove cauliflower from Instant Air Fryer and enjoy!