SPAM® Classic + Kimchi Fried Rice Balls Recipe
- 1 Omsom Spicy Bulgogi starter
- 2 cups steamed white rice
- ½ cup kimchi, chopped
- ½ can of SPAM® Classic, cubed ½ inch
- ⅔ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ½ sheet nori, shredded
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
Recipe inspired by Jen Phanomrat.
Let’s get cooking:
- Pan-fry cubed SPAM® Classic in pan on medium-high until crispy for about 3-4 minutes!
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil into hot pan and add kimchi and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and Omsom Spicy Bulgogi starter, and cook for about 3 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Turn off heat and stir in cooked SPAM®, cheese, scallions, sesame oil, nori, and sesame seeds. Salt to taste and set aside to cool.
- Wet your hands and take about 2 tbsp. of rice mixture. Roll into a ball and place on a parchment-paper lined tray.
- Continue until rice mixture is finished. Chill rice balls in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Over medium-high heat, heat 3 inches of oil to 375°F in a pot.
- In the meantime, prep your dredging station: flour in one dish, egg in another, and panko in a third dish. Working in batches of 4-5 balls, roll each ball in the flour, egg mixture, and then the panko.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Drain on a baking rack lined with paper towels.
- Serve immediately and enjoy warm.